Monday, July 1, 2013

The First Day of School

I graduated from college in May of 2011. I had been in school for 19 years at that point, so I was VERY excited to see what life was like without papers and tests. I said I was only going to take a year off, but when I realized my job was going to be available for another year, I jumped on the opportunity to take a second year off. It's no secret that I LOVED my job and the coworkers that came along with it, but I knew it was going to end this year, so I actually got my application in.

Had to break up the wall of text, so I decided to use an adorable picture one of my students drew for me.

I was accepted into the Mild to Moderate teaching credential program for the 2013-2014 school year, which I was basically expecting. The exciting thing was getting accepted to the summer school portion which is what most credential candidates do at the end of the program to add on the moderate to severe credential as well. Since I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that I want to have my own Special Day Class some day, I definitely need the moderate to severe credential. So, since I have 6 years of experience in the field, I get to start in summer instead of end next July.

Another picture of how awesome my job is.  There is a student next to me making an adorable face, but I don't post pictures of students because of confidentiality. 


So incredibly long story short, I had my first day of school today. I've always been good at school. I'm one of those people who isn't really GOOD at anything, just really mediocre at a lot of things. But school is something I can actually do really well. For some reason I was nervous that after 2 years I would have forgotten how to be good at school, but I got there and it was just like riding a bike. 

Another student drawing.

School actually started at 9, but since I am also working summer school (basically getting paid while student teaching), I had to be there for the first half of the day. I had my mom take a first day of school picture like the good-ol'-days.


You can tell I haven't been getting up as early as I had to this morning. I also only slept about 5 hours because nerves kept me awake. Summer school is always much more relaxed and only 4 hours instead of the usual 6. Today we spent an hour hiking through the redwoods, which I will never complain about. Then I booked it (no pun intended) to school because I am working 45 minutes south of campus. After school I went to the sister gym to my gym. Thank goodness it is pretty much the same as mine and not like the 1992 version I had to go to at the end of May.


My run today was about 900 times better than yesterday. I felt like I could go forever, but I had to hit the weights and it was already past 5! The weight room was PACKED. I am used to having maybe 4 other people in the weights section, but at this gym at 5pm, there are about 45 people in the weight room!


Today was also a big day that had to be out on the calendar. To be nerdy and reference FRIENDS, "Rachel doesn't share food!!!!!!!" It's well known that I will scream at someone if they steal food off my plate or eat the food I have bought for myself. Boyfriend has started doing it intentionally because he is trying to break me of this strange habit I have. So today, he asked if he could have one of my Stevia sodas and I actually said yes, without hesitation. He and my mom both practically fell to the ground from shock. I walked into the room to find this:


So, it was a big day in this household. I am now going to sleep. At 9pm. School is tiring!

6 comments:

  1. Yay for your first day back!! I love the feeling of the first day of school!! You are going to rock it!!!
    I love Friends! At first when you said "Rachel doesn't share food," I was thinking "No, it's Joey!" Then I was like "Duh, Heather....Rachel...not Rachel from Friends!" haha!!!
    Andddd....did you seriously run 4.52 miles in 34 minutes?? You rock!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! PS: I love your new saying at the top - "One girl's tale of running, lifting, and the life that comes with it."

    LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SO glad you noticed that! When I wrote it I even thought to myself that die hard Friends fans are going to be super confused because they know it's Joey, not Rachel, but in my house, it's Rachel, and my mom says it EVERY time! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, well done on sharing!!
    As for starting school again, I was like that when I went back to school to study a language, it's amazing how quickly you get back into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the support in my overcoming acting like a 2 year old! I need all the help I can get. It's seriously a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha! I didn't know the boyfriend actually marked the historic event on a calendar as I had jokingly suggested we might do. He is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete