Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Long Run That Wasn't

I woke up this morning with grand plans of running 10-10.5 miles for Long Run Sunday. I've been going pretty strong on the long runs the last month considering I am not even training for a race. And that's what I need to remember when I feel mad about the run today.

Last night we were out later than appropriate for Grandma Rachel. Boyfriend played water pong (beer pong but the cups are filled with water) while I sat and stalked people on Instagram...


This morning I fueled my run with delicious brunch that we ate in the really hot sunshine. I might have drank too much coffee.


Boyfriend's grandma's dogs kept us safe from the birds that have been flying down the chimney.


I was more than ready for the long run by the time we got home. I chose the treadmill because I am really bad at holding myself accountable outside. I also wanted to watch Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition on my dad's iPad. I opened every door and window in the treadmill room and hopped on. The first half hour flew by because I was so engrossed in the show. By 35 minutes I knew I wasn't going to make it 10 miles. By 36 minutes I had decreased the speed and the incline. And by 49 minutes or 6.1 miles I got off. 


Why? I was HOT. I was miserable. I wasn't enjoying the run the way I should have been. I needed to be out in the fresh air. So I stopped and was planning on running 3 more miles outside. Well, I got .3 miles before I had to stop and keel over because I was in so much pain. I had the worst cramps I've ever had. Of course, being me, I kept going. I had to stop THREE times in one mile and had my slowest mile to date. So, I stopped. I listened to my body, and that's all that matters.


 I was really upset with myself for awhile, but then I realized that I've been running 26 mile weeks for the last four weeks and I'm not even training for anything. My body was physically rejecting running and I listened to it. And to anybody else, 7 miles IS a long run. I need to remember that. Seven miles isn't short. It isn't long to me, but it wasn't like I only ran a half a mile and gave up. Sometimes we are way too hard on ourselves. We need to relax and give thanks that our bodies get us through so much. Mine takes a beating on a daily basis and it still treats me so well and hasn't even gotten injured.  So I can be upset about how badly my run went or I can be glad that I even CAN run. I choose the latter. And after my run, dinner was ready!


Also, my step sister/best friend in the entire world moved home today! After the run we walked down the street (she and her husband are moving into a house about .10 mile away from my dad's house) and helped unload the moving van. One of the perks of being 8 months pregnant is that she got to sit and direct the rest of us where to put stuff.


I'm so happy she's here for good! I can't wait for the baby. Tomorrow work starts again AND I become a student for the first time in 2 years. I have the usual first day of school jitters that I haven't felt in years. I'm pretty excited.

2 comments:

  1. 1. I love that you listened to your body! We need our rest days and I know you were upset but 7 miles is still awesome girl! At least you ran!
    2. Thank you so much for your comment on my post. If we lived near each other we would be BFFs. I love reading your posts and I consider you one of my blogging besties! My husband even knows who you are :)
    3. GOOD LUCK on your first day back! You will love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way! I always get excited when you post! Also, I realized I never said congrats on your PR! That's super awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete