Tuesday, January 15, 2013


I woke up with a sore throat this morning.  Like, out of the ordinary, probably fighting something off, sore.  I am so very lucky and am not one to get sick often, but this school year, I have already been pretty sick.  I had a strange sore throat for about three weeks.  For about 2 of those weeks I was taking 4 ibproffin to simply be able to swallow.  I was so tired all of the time and my lymph nodes in my neck were incredibly swollen.  The strep test was negative and I got tested for mono and that came out negative.  So, it was just some really annoying, really stubborn virus.  I let myself feel kind of sick and lay around on weekends, but I still had to get up and move.  One Saturday, I even threw up for the first time since I was 16!  My body was mad at me, probably because I am also one who ignores the fact that I am sick.  I can recall a day in my college career where I spent the entire day going to classes and taking notes feeling bad, but not allowing myself to think it.  I got home to find that I had a 102.2 temperature.

So, this morning, I drank tea and popped some cough drops and went to work.  It subsided a bit at work, because I am always really busy and incredibly distracted, but I did suck on cough drops and had a cup of throat coat tea during our down time in the afternoon.  I felt sluggish, but I refuse to get sick.  We have a 3-day weekend this week, so I will be sick then, if at all.

My cousin had rescheduled our workout to today, so I rushed home to be sure that I would be ready by the time she got there.  I was dragging when I got home.  More so than usual.  If Mandee had backed out, I probably would have taken Moe for a short walk and then lay down.  But, she came over and we kicked our own butts.  She is studying to become a personal trainer, so she is an awesome person to have to work out with.  We ended up choosing to do circuits of 4 moves, switching between lower and upper body.  We did 3 sets of each move in the circuit before we moved on to the next one.  It was an hour and a half of some really intense working out.  We finished it with a short, brisk walk around the block and some stretching.  The whole time, I felt great!  I didn't feel as though I was getting sick at all. By the end of the stretches, I was back to feeling super tired again.

In love with my new lifting shoes.

Bonnie helped us do our lifting.

Tonight on the menu was hamburgers and swiss chard with caramelized onions.  I showered and got in my pjs and went to work making the burgers.  I could hardly stand up by the time I was finished cooking and was so excited to stuff my face so that I could go crawl into bed.  I really, really enjoy cooking.  It's one of my favorite hobbies.  But tonight, I was really dragging and would rather have been asleep.

The finished product.

On a completely different, much more random topic, the boy is obsessed with mushrooms.  Like, tricking his girlfriend by telling her they were going for a walk on the beach but really going mushroom hunting in the woods, obsessed.  He thinks they are really neat and they do have a lot of healing properties.  And there is something totally satisfying about coming home with pounds of wild mushrooms that cost $20 a pound in the grocery store.

For Christmas, my mom got him two mushroom growing kits.  One is growing shiritaki and the other is growing oyster.  I started the oyster mushroom kit on Christmas because it said to start it no later than December 20th.  Well, it was already 5 days overdue.  It's been exactly three weeks since Christmas and this whole time I've been telling him that I think we are doing something wrong (I'm in charge of the mushrooms when he is at work....and I kill cacti...) because they were supposed to start growing within 4-7 DAYS of starting.  Absolutely nothing had been happening and the instructions didn't make and sense!

Today, I when I went to water them, I saw baby mushrooms!  I was so excited, I started jumping around.  I have NEVER gotten anything to grow before, so it was so satisfying to see something I had been taking care of actually doing what it is supposed to do.  It was very gratifying to know that I could keep a plant alive.  Maybe I'll move on to herbs next... ;-)

The baby mushrooms!

Now I am in bed, teeth brushed, ready to turn off the light and go to sleep and hope that tomorrow my sore throat is all gone and that I am just imagining the fact that my body is tired.  I'm always extra tired on Tuesdays for some reason.  That's really what's going on.  I am going to circuit for the first time in about a month and a half tomorrow.  I have to be fully prepared and ready for the torture I know that my trainer will put me through for missing so much class.  I cannot be ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment