Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Flashbulb Memory

In my psychology undergrad classes, we talked a lot about a phenomenon called a flashbulb memory.  This is a memory that is so vivid, when you think about it, you can remember the sounds, the tastes, the smells exactly as it happened.  I have a few of these memories, most of them not the most positive, like the moment my 6 year relationship with the man I thought I was going to marry ended, the day we had to put my childhood dog to sleep, and September 11, 2001.


Writing about my day and how great my run was seems so trivial on this day of remembrance.  I was in 8th grade, the only care in the world was how I was going to wear my hair on picture day.  I had no connection to the attacks except that a man from my town was on one of the planes.  That was it, but I can still remember every moment the night before and the morning of like it was yesterday.  I can only imagine the feelings that someone who actually experienced the horrors has to relive every year.  This is for them.



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful.
    My friend and I were talking about this yesterday. We were both in 8th grade at the same school but in different classes.
    It was so unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this. I will always remember the exact place I was, the way the day continued.

    ReplyDelete