Sunday, February 10, 2013

Easy Like Sunday Morning

So, date night didn't happen again.  We are seriously the most unmotivated couple in the world.  We spent about 45 minutes deciding where to eat and then another 20 driving around town because everywhere we wanted to eat had too long of a wait time for us to eat and then go to the theater.  So, we ate and didn't go to the theater, which ended up being a blessing in disguise because we did end up going to a local bar and meeting up with a bunch of people we haven't seen in a long time.  They are some of our favorite people in the entire world, so it was a fantastic night.  We hung out and laughed and loved each other as we always do.  I feel so happy and blessed that I am surrounded by such wonderful, amazing, talented, beautiful friends.

This morning started early when I met my awesome workout partner at our gym to take off on our weekly long run.  She was sore and my stupid shoes kept coming untied, even though I always make sure to double knot them specifically so that doesn't happen, but we made it 6 miles.  It was so gorgeous.  Not too cold, not too hot, not windy at all.  We've been running at about an 8:14 min/mile pace with plenty of hills to go around, so this a good sign for our pace in the 10 mile race.  Not that I am at all competitive or want to win anything.  I just want to complete it and feel good about myself.  When I finished the 8 3/4 mile race and didn't pass out or walk or anything crazy, I felt to accomplished.  To have a fitness goal and complete it actually feels amazing.  I am notorious for not finishing much of anything that I started (except school), so I was so proud of myself for actually getting out and doing it.  Now to have a 10 miler to work toward will feel so good when it's finished.  And it's keeping me running.  I'm a little nervous about my trip next week and how my exercise is going to play out.  Hopefully it won't be snowing or even freezing, so I can get a few runs in.

No car was going to hit me this morning.


Then, we headed off to boy's mother's house where we had our weekly brunch.  Coffee tastes so much better after a long run.  We ate and then headed into town where she and I did a little yarn shopping for my next project (an infinity scarf that I am really excited about) and then the boy and I went and saw the show we were supposed to see last night.  It's always so strange sitting in the audience at the theater and not in the booth.  I have spent so many hours in that theater it feels like a second home.  The smells, the sounds, the cold, all of it just engulfs me and I feel a comfort I don't feel many other places.  Plus, I knew the majority of the cast, and all of them can sing beautifully, so it was a great afternoon.  We also ran into a couple of amazing friends who were in Annie and got to sit with them and catch up.  I love them so very much.  My theater people are another family, so spending the afternoon with them made me feel so happy.

Brunch and knitting.

Then we headed to my dad's for our dinner.  After dinner, it has become a tradition that boy gets his butt kicked by my dad in ping pong and then boy kicks my step-mom's butt in chess.  I knitted the entire time this was happening.  Then my dad came and joined me in the living room to watch Mumford and Sons play at Red Rocks, which he had DVR'd.  We saw them live in 2011, before many people knew who they were.  I had only ever heard 'Lion Man,' and absolutely loved the song, but didn't even know the name of the band that sang it until they played it live.  Their voices are so powerful and their love of the art and their fans is so abundant in their live performance that I immediately fell deeply in love with them.  They are also amazingly talented.  I am going to see them again some day, I know it.  I sure do hope they win some Grammys tonight.  They deserve it.  

Watching that concert made me realize how lucky I am to have been to so many live performances.  I have been so blessed in the concert aspect of my life.  I have a very long list of people who I have seen live including Jack White, The Counting Crows, Michael Franti (like 10 times), Radiohead, Tom Petty, Ben Harper, Norah Jones, Kimya Dawson, Cake, Beck, Eddie Vedder, Neil Young, Jackson Browne, K.D. Lang, Smash Mouth, Foster the People, Regina Spektor, Slightly Stoopid, Damian Marley, The Indigo Girls, Mumford and Sons, Augustana, Sarah McLachlan, Arcade Fire, Dave Matthews, Santana, and those are the ones I can remember.  Music is a very important aspect of my life and I can't wait to see who else I can add to my list.  Concerts are so important in my life.  They are one of the few things I will splurge and spend lots of money on.  I am trying my hardest to find a way to pay to go to Bottlerock in May where The Black Keys will be headlining.  They have a very special place in my heart because when the boy plays me guitar in bed, he always plays 'Little Black Submarine.'  I've come to think of this as our song and whenever it plays in my car, my mind immediately goes to him and his guitar.  

And this brings us to tomorrow.  One week and then a vacation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment