Monday, October 6, 2014

A Weekend Getaway

On Friday, I left town for the Bay Area for a little weekend getaway. I had signed up for the San Jose Rock 'N Roll Half Marathon several months ago and, somehow, the weekend snuck up on me. Luckily, the trip doubled as a way to get to meet my newest niece. I'm surrounded by so many baby girls! How did I get so lucky?!


Saturday, I took it really, really easy. I wanted my legs to be fresh for the race. So I spent a lot of time like this.


She learned how to make a duck face, so I tried to get her to take a selfie with me. Turns out three-week olds don't listen very well.


We got to the expo about an hour before closing. We wandered around, but I wasn't very impressed. I'd never been to a big expo before, so I didn't really know what to expect.


As we all know, my Achilles has been bothering me, so I got it all taped up. That was best part of the expo. Am I a real runner now??


We went for a girl's walk around the neighborhood before dinner. It is such a cute little 'hood, but she's the cutest part about it.


After dinner, I drove up to Palo Alto to hang out with some friends. We ended up at a froyo shop. I'm not sure how that happened.


I woke up nice and early on Sunday for race day. I'll do a recap tomorrow, but just know that it was hot. For some reason, California hasn't gotten the memo that it's OCTOBER and not July.


I finished, but barely. I was miserable the last two miles. It was so, so nice to be done and get a delicious iced coffee.


After a shower, I got in some last-minute baby holding time.


I also spent some last-minute quality time with two of my favorite ladies.


Yes, we did completely plan to be triplets. After the goodbyes, I headed back north. I made a pit stop in my favorite city to pick up my friend who had gotten a ride down with me. We hiked around a hill in Bernal Heights. 


The day was amazing and the views were spectacular. The city is never, ever this clear.


We also made a quick pit stop on the way out of town to take full advantage of the clear day. Neither of us had ever been to the look-out point on the other side of the bridge and we've both been to the city more times than we can count. We thought this was the perfect time to do it, even though we both had work in the morning.  It was really breath-taking.


I got home way past my grandma bedtime. That made for a difficult day today, but the weekend was so, so worth it. Sometimes, it's really nice to get away.

Where was your last getaway?

3 comments:

  1. I would love some of that coloured tape!!! I have solid pink and solid blue but haven't seen any printed KT tape here in Nova Scotia. Great job on your super speedy half marathon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you, I wanted a race recap!!! ;) I hate experts... too crowded, too expensive. I have actually never been KT taped. You look very bad ass though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great weekend getaway! Congrats again on your new PR :)

    ReplyDelete