Saturday, June 29, 2013

Leg Day and Beach Days

First of all, I PR'd on my 5k time the day I got back from rafting.  I was so surprised since I was just going out for a quick loop around my neighborhood and it didn't feel hard at all.  So that was an exciting moment in my running week.



It's no secret that I love to hate leg day.  My legs are my pride and joy.  They are what propel me through runs, allow me to go for 14 mile day hikes, and basically allow me to function my active, healthy lifestyle.  I also have my strongest lifts on leg day.  Now I am forcing helping my best friend also love leg day.

I don't know why I save it for the last day of the week.  Probably because lunges hurt the worst out of any exercise ever (besides burpees, which I have some PTSD from my 100 day burpee challenge last July).

Bad memories.  But I finished it!


I always start leg day off with a 3 or 4 mile run because I know by the end of it, I will not want to move my legs at all.


Then my routine looks like this:

Deadlifts---> Warm-up set: 12 reps of 65 lbs, then 3 sets of 10 reps at 105, then as many reps as I can do of 135, slowly progressing to 1 set of 195, my highest yet.

Back Squats---> Warm up set: 12 reps of just the bar (45lbs), then 12 reps of 95, then 10 reps of 105, then 8 reps of 125.  I can squat over my body weight, but I only do that if the boyfriend is there to spot me.  I'm terrified of failing and falling on my butt in front of everyone.

Front Squats---> 12 reps just the bar (45 lbs), 10 reps 55 lbs, 10 reps 60 lbs

Lunges---> 12 reps each leg holding 25 lb dumbbells, 3 rounds.

Goblet Squats---> 12 reps holding 35 lb Kettlebell, 3 rounds.

Kettlebell Swings---> 12 reps with 35 lb Kettlebell, 3 rounds.

Calf Raises---> 12 reps holding 40 lb dumbbells, 3 rounds.

Bulgarian Split Squats---> 10 reps each leg with 30 lb bar on my back, 3 rounds.

Glute Bridge---> 12 reps with 80 lb bar on my hips, 3 rounds

Leg Press---> 12 reps with 130 lbs, 12 reps 150 lbs, 12 reps with 160 lbs.

I do the lunges/goblet squats, kettlebell swings/calf raises, and split squat/glute bridge as super sets, which means you do both exercises back to back with no rest period in between.  My legs shake by the end of it.  I have seen a significant change in my derriere since adding in a leg day.  I've also noticed that it helps me with my runs because these exercises strengthen the hips and the core as well.

And I finally got compression socks!


So now I can spend even more time on the couch with my legs up, recovering in my awesome neon pink socks, watching Castle.  I am totally in love.



The rest of Friday was spent at the beach.  Since I live a mile and a half away, one would assume I spend most of my time there.  To be honest, I haven't been to the beach in months.  It's usually 56 degrees and super windy.  I am a baby about the cold, so I avoid being cold at all costs.  But it's been in the upper 70s lately and I spent the day at the beach in SHORTS!  We took milo, who is terrified of walking on the edge of the bridge.


We also took my mom.


She's usually behind us, but this time she was speedy and ahead of us.  Also, the train hasn't run since 1982 or something, so we weren't risking our lives.


Milo absolutely loves the beach, so he was having the time of his life.


I spent my time being a good mom and taking pictures of my baby.  Yes, I am obsessed with him.


I also made sure to give the boyfriend lots of love.  He obviously loves me back.


Mom and I also spent some quality time together.


Then we had to rest from our very long  half a mile walk.



And then my flip flops broke and my feet got too hot in the sand and the boyfriend saved the day.


Today there was a sand castle competition at the beach.  With the amount of people in bathing suits wandering the beach, one would think we were in Southern California.  I don't want this weather to end.  The sand sculptures were absolutely amazing, but this one was my favorite.


Tomorrow is long run Sunday and I am seriously hoping to get outside instead of the treadmill, but it all depends on the time of day I get around to it.  I leave you with my newest goal that I have been working on.



1 comment:

  1. Girl, you are a beast!!!!
    You rock!
    I really need to start incorporating lifting into my routine...plus the hubs will be stoked!
    I PRed this week too! I hit 30min and 34sec for my fastest 5K yet!! WHOOP!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete