Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Changing Things Up

I have been in a workout rut lately.  I am a creature of habit and stick to what I know.  Which is never a good thing when it comes to working out.  To be honest, I have been dreading the gym.


So, I've been changing things up.  I still run 6 days a week and lift 4 days a week, I've just been trying to incorporate new things.  On Sunday, I switched things up by doing half of my run outside.  I have been avoiding runs outside because it's cold and windy, but once I got started, I loved every second of that run.  I am meant to be outside.  It just makes me feel free.



Last Monday and today, I did a workout that I found on this amazing lady's blog.  The workout can be found here.  Like her, I added in half mile runs in between sets.  I actually started with three miles, then would do half mile runs until I got to 6.  The miles really flew by and the workout kicked my butt.  Literally.  There are so many lunges involved.


This week has been completely different than all of the previous weeks and my schedule has been changing.  So, I've gotten to go to different gyms at different times of the day.  Even just the simple act of being somewhere at a different time with different people can be motivating.  Plus, I was able to do leg day yesterday at 12pm, instead of tomorrow at 5am.  There's something terrifying about doing squats at 5 in the morning.


Tomorrow is my last 4:30am wake up call for the foreseeable future.  Something about that is a little sad.  I've come to love the 5am crowd.  The lady who is on the treadmill for an hour and 10 minutes and then moves to the stairmaster...with ankle weights (!!!), the group of men that stand around and watch each other lift weights that are way too heavy and that keep multiplying before my eyes, the old man who reeks of cigarettes and chooses the treadmill right next to mine instead of the 45 other free ones, the man who always parks his jeep backward in the parking space next to me that I smile and wave at.  

Yes.  Changes are happening.  And it's been great.


3 comments:

  1. It's always good to change things up.
    You are so beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait a minute, do we go to the same gym? Because I'm pretty sure I see all those same people. I wish we did go to the same gym. You would have helped me shoot visual daggers at the two dudes who were on the leg press for 45 MINUTES tonight. :)

    And thanks for the shout-out! I'm glad you liked that workout, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to take your advice! My working out has been in a rut too, and the only way to fix it is to mix things up! ...I need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete