Wednesday, August 14, 2013

A Hard Run

I woke up this morning all ready to jump out of bed and run outside. Now that I'm training for Ragnar, I am going to have to start running the dreaded hills. So, I went outside with every intention of running 4 hilly miles and coming back and doing a couple of HIIT videos online. When I went outside, it looked like this.


Bright blue skies and about 70 degrees. At 10am. Which is totally abnormal for here where it doesn't get above 60 usually in the summer. So I set off on a terrible run. I had to pause THREE times to catch my breath. By 3.1 miles I called it quits.


I was really mad at myself for not having the mental willpower to keep going to 4 miles, but I'm trying this new thing where I actually listen to my body. My body was on vacation and was well rested. My muscles are not achy, my legs are fresh, but I am not used to running in heat. My body said stop. It was hungry and thirsty. So instead of pushing through and possibly hurting myself, I stopped and walked the rest of the way home. 

I also did a HIIT video, an ab workout, and a bicep workout in the comfort of my cool house. I felt insanely better. 


Some days just aren't running days and I am learning to accept that. I figured that since I've had two low mileage weeks in a row that I would have some great running days, but the heat and humidity threw a wrench in my plans. I am not inadequate because I had one bad run. And I know tomorrow's run will be better! 

I took total advantage of the heat the rest of the day.


I am reading Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. I started and finished Gone Girl on the island. I could not put the book down. This one is just as good and captivating. I can't wait to see if this one has an exciting twist like Gone Girl does. 

I had some company in the sun.


I haven't had Milo in about 6 weeks, so it has been really exciting getting to cuddle with him again.


In much more exciting news than a terrible run, my sister's water broke this morning so baby has to be born really soon. Tomorrow I am planning on spending most of the day with her in the hospital. I cannot wait to meet my Goddaughter!

What do you do when your runs are tough?
Read any good books lately?

5 comments:

  1. Rachel - I LOVE what you said " I am not inadequate because I had one bad run. And I know tomorrow's run will be better! "
    You are so right! I love this!!!!! :)

    1. What is Ragnar? Did I miss something?
    2. YAY for your Goddaughter!
    3. About email...I know I had emailed you before asking about teaching in CA and you emailed me back, but then I emailed you back again, saying you should run the full at the Ave with me next year...did you ever get that one??

    Have a good one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ragnar is a relay race where each team member runs 3 legs of the race, which ends up being about 18 miles total. I have always wanted to do a Ragnar and when the boyfriend's family told me they were doing it, I was like I WANT TO DO THAT! They immediately found another one and asked me to be on their team. :-D

      Delete
  2. I'm training for Ragnar too! (Secondary to my marathon, which comes first.)

    Which location are you doing?? I'm really excited to do a relay...it's going to be the mental feat of a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing Veil Lake down in Los Angeles. Where are you doing yours?? That is so exciting for you! I am really excited to do a relay as well. It's going to be so challenging, just the way I like it.

      Delete