Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Running Has Been Hard Lately

I am just going to admit it.  Running has been super hard.  It is 100% mental.  I began running as a way to get an A in a class and it progressed into my form of therapy.  I run when I'm happy, I run when I'm sad, I run when I'm mad, I run to clear my head, but mostly, I run for me.


Lately, running has been less for me and more to prove something.  To prove I can go faster than the day before.  To prove I run a lot.  To prove I have the mental capabilities to run 6 days a week and not give up.  And this is not good.  So today, when I strapped on my running shoes, I decided to get back to the basics and run for me.  I blared my music and ran.  I listened to my body and slowed down when I felt like I needed to.  I sped up when I felt like I needed to.  And despite the fact that it was 70 degrees outside (a heatwave again!) and about 9000% humidity, I enjoyed my run.  


I really enjoyed listening to my breathing, the pounding of my feet on the pavement, waving at the walkers who were out walking their dogs.  I enjoyed having an easy run and not caring about my pace, if I was going fast or slow.  I fell back in love with running and remembered why I run.  I was tired, I was hot, I spent far too much time (and money) at Target avoiding this run.  But once I got out there and did it for me, everything felt right again.  


It was the best run I've had in a long time.  It wasn't far.  It wasn't fast.  But it was what I needed.  I think we need to remember why we run sometimes because it's so easy to get caught up in going further, faster, farther that we totally forget the reason that we started running in the first place.  And that's when we lose motivation.  


After my run, a couple of HIIT routines, and a lot of sitting around avoiding homework later, dinner was ready.  It was delicious, cheese covered chicken.  But that's not why I'm mentioning dinner.  I had to compare my plate with my brother's plate because it shows how obsessed I am with vegetables.


I think I might have a problem.  I might need to look into vegetable therapy.  

I leave you with a photo of the boyfriend and me, because I really am missing him and he still has two more days of work.


Why do you run?






10 comments:

  1. I've definitely found that removing the watch and focusing on how I feel makes running more enjoyable when I'm in a slump. I'm glad you were able to find an adjustment that worked for you, and had a great run!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did help get my mind back into a healthier space about running. I was having a hard time. I hope your runs have been going well!

      Delete
  2. Running is hard for me lately too and you know what? It's okay. Because when I DO have a good day of running, it's really good. Taking off my watch and just running however much I wanted to made a huge difference and now I am back to a place where I'm running to help clear out my head instead of to hit a certain time or pace. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really feel like I need to get to a place mentally where I am able to strip off the watch, not look at the treadmill miles, and just go based on how I feel. I'm not ready to shed the watch just yet, but I will eventually get there! :-) Thanks so much for the words of encouragement.

      Delete
  3. I have been through a few phases where I felt like it was a struggle to get out there and run. Luckily I've been pretty good recently because I've removed the pressure from running. I wrote a post today that talks about reasons why Running is my go to exercise and I have to say... reminding myself of those reasons REALLY helps keep my perspective on track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those reasons really helped me as well. Getting back to the basics is really essential if we don't want to wear ourselves out. Taking the pressure off is a really good way of putting it. I'm not running to impress anyone else or hold world records. I'm running because I love it.

      Delete
  4. The best thing in the world is to run for yourself. I think all runners go through that mental block. Where we put too much pressure on ourselves to improve and we forget why we even started running. Music and not looking at the garmin are ways keep myself in check when I feel down. P.S. Your wedding ring is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to get lost in all of the trivial parts of running! I am usually obsessed with looking at my Garmin and making sure I don't slow down past a certain pace, but with this run, I rarely checked it. I only looked at it when I felt as though my pace was too fast, and I was always right, so I slowed down.

      Thank you for the compliment! It's actually a brand new ring, so I like showing it off!! :-D

      Delete
  5. Did you write this post for me? haha JK
    But when I was reading it I was like OMG...this is so me!
    Thanks for the motivation Rachel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome! I know we are best blog friends for a reason!

      Delete