Sunday, March 17, 2013

What A Weekend

Lately my weekends have definitely not been about resting.  They feel just as busy as my regular work days.  I am not looking forward to adding school into the mix, but I am getting kind of excited to be a student again.  Being a student is one thing I am actually pretty good at.

Friday, after we went to dinner (Pho seems to be our go-to Friday night meal), the boy and I laid in bed.  He played me guitar which he hasn't done in several months and I just drifted around the internet.  I'm pretty obsessed with reading running blogs right now.  Before my race, I googled what I should eat before a long race and this blog came up.  Ever since then, I've been reading it religiously and I have to say she has motivated me to really want to finish a half marathon.  I'm still scared to sign up.  I have 6 weeks, so I am training as though I will run it, but 13.1 miles scares me to death.  It is quite a nice feeling completing a goal though, and I've gotten a little addicted to races.  There's nothing like the feeling of accomplishing something you never thought you would.  I've said I was going to run this half marathon for a couple of years, but never had the guts to sign up for it and somehow it would pass by before my eyes.  I think this year I may actually do it.  Who knows?  But this woman runs half marathons and marathons in crazy times and I am in awe of her.

Boy playing me guitar.

Saturday morning I was up early to get to the gym by 9.  I say I was up early, but really my body won't let me sleep past 8 or 8:30, no matter how hard I try, so I was up at a decent hour.  The bootcamp class was an hour and a half long and consisted of 5 groups that we rotated through.  One was bodyweight exercises (although, I saw the next group using real weights!), one was TRX (which I'm starting to love), one was sandbags (which is HARD), one was kettlebells, and one was battle ropes (REALLY hard).  We were at each group for 12 minutes or so.  It was a great class.  The problem is that it's $10 on top of the gym membership we already pay for.  I have a month of free classes, so I think I am going to use them up and then debate whether or not it's worth it to pay $10 every weekend.  Probably not.

I came home, ate a good breakfast, and studied for 2 hours.  All of this studying is taking it out of me.  I haven't studied anything in 2 years, so it feels so tiring even studying for little bits at a time.  During that time, my mom and I decided we were going to go see a movie while dinner cooked in the crock pot.  We headed to the movie with the boy in tow (with much grumbling, we were seeing Oz).  We came home to a delicious smelling house.  I made a salad and roasted some broccoli and we had an amazing dinner of corned beef and cabbage.  I LOVE corned beef.  I could eat it every day for the rest of my life and I would be happy.  That and sushi.  And pho.  

So good.  With my stupid book in the background.

After dinner, the boy and I headed to a birthday party for our fantastic friend.  She turned 30 on Thursday, so it was a celebration of her life.  We had a great bonding experience with the group who was there while watching a movie and just generally laughed and had a good time.  The night ended with a pinata and a bonfire before the boy and I decided to go home because we were both exhausted.

Scouring for candy.  In the dark.

Still searching.

Luckily the unicorn's head was intact and Birthday Girl got to wear it as a hat.  Dude in the background played Dracula to my Mina Murray in Brides of Dracula.

We don't take real pictures.

Good group of people.

This morning I got myself out of bed early enough to go to the gym to get a long run in.  My running partner has family in town this weekend, so I figured she was probably busy.  I cannot make myself run outside for over 30 minutes before getting bored and wanting to go home.  I really prefer running outside, it feels so much freer, but running on the treadmill I can convince myself to keep going.  I don't know why.  So, I hopped on the treadmill wanting to do 7 or 8 miles, but by mile 3 I knew I was only going to do 6.  My body felt tired and I didn't have much in me to keep going.  Six miles is enough considering I did 17.5 miles last week.  I also walked with a huge incline for another 10 minutes after my run, just to get my cardio to an hour.  It was really horrible not running with her and I know now how spoiled I am to run with her.  

Not too bad for how I was feeling.

Stretching afterward.  This is how I felt the entire run.

I came home, showered, and we headed south to boy's mom's house for brunch.  We hadn't seen her since we left Washington (the wedding was almost a MONTH ago), so it was really nice to see her and catch up.  I adore his mom.  His brother was there and his grandma lives on the property, so she came down to visit with us.  We spent an hour stacking wood and chatting, then we dished up brunch and sat in the sunshine talking and drinking coffee.  It was a perfect Sunday afternoon.  It was so warm and lovely as well.

I downed this in about 2 minutes.

Making fun of his country boy ways.


No really, we don't take normal pictures.

After brunch, we headed even further south to boy's friend's house so that he could play music.  He's been going over there a lot lately because that's where his drum set is currently living and they want to play at the next Art's Alive, so they've been practicing.  I sat on the couch in the living room listening to their very loud music and chatting with some guy I've never met about school as he is getting his degree in Psychology too.  He had the cutest puppy that I got to play with.  I always jokingly tell Milo that he gets to go to the pound soon because he's too old and I want a new puppy. But playing with this puppy made me realize that Milo is a great age and I don't really want a puppy that badly.  (Disclaimer: I would never take Milo to the pound.  He's my baby.)  We came home and I spent another 2 hours studying.  I'm leaving math for this week because that's what I'm most scared about.  Today I learned about music and art and PE...

Too much information.

Then we went to my dad's, of course, for Sunday dinner.  Tonight it was bison hot dogs and chili, kale chips, salad, gluten free corn bread, and the usual fruit salad and whipped cream for dessert.  My tummy is still full.  I love Sundays.  Now it is off to bed so that I can get up when my alarm goes off way too early as it always does on Mondays.

No comments:

Post a Comment