Wednesday, August 12, 2015


Every once in awhile, I remember that I actually have a little space on the internet where I used to write every single day.  I don't know why I stopped blogging regularly.  There wasn't any real moment where I consciously decided to stop documenting every moment of my life for the internet.  It just kind of happened.  I always think about writing a blog post, and then by the time I actually sit down in front of my computer, all I want to do is read blogs and go to sleep.

I woke up like this.

There have been a lot of life changes happening over here lately. It's been so long since I last blogged (two months) that I have so much to say.  So I will mainly just photo dump and give a few words.  Pictures are more exciting anyway.

I have a new stamp in my passport!  I took my mom to Costa Rica for her 55th birthday.

I told her to choose somewhere tropical that we needed our passports to get to and I would pay for the trip.  At first she chose Mexico.  I told her that was boring because we had both been, so then she started researching Costa Rica.  She planned the entire thing, and I paid for it.  It was an excellent compromise.  

Just swinging on vines like Tarzan.

There was a three-way fork in the road on one of our hikes.  Turns out, it was just a loop.

We did several hikes through the jungle.

Selfies of selfies in the jungle.

Just a sloth hanging out in the tree.

We stayed two nights at a sustainable organic farm with tons of hiking trails on the property.  We even did a night hike through the jungle!  We saw sloths, toucans, deadly snakes, frogs, and tons of other jungle wildlife.  We also made our own chocolate starting with roasting the cocoa beans, then grinding them.  I like the cocoa beans just as much as the finished chocolate! 

Fresh homemade breakfast, endless coffee, and avocados the size of my head!

Hanging out in the Caribbean Sea.

Endless rainfall didn't keep us from biking 11 miles one day.

The next three days were spent at the ocean.  We drove 6 hours to get to Puerto Viejo, which is this little Rasta town on the Caribbean side of the country.  I fell in love.  A huge storm came through, so we didn't spend much time on the beach.  In between breaks in the rain, we rented bikes and biked all around town.  My mom is pretty bad ass for a 55-year-old. 

By the end of 9 days, I was ready to push my mom off this cliff. ;-)

We were literally the ONLY people at this hotel for two nights.  It was very horror movie-esque.

The only time I ran the entire 9 days was for this picture.

There was a lot of hammock time that happened. 

This looks like land, but it really is the middle of a river.  That we were stuck in.  On a boat.

The last two days were the weirdest 48 hours of my entire life.  We headed to Tortugero, which is where the turtles come to lay their eggs.  It is only accessible by boat.  We had originally planned to take a boat ride there and then boat back to the mainland to catch a ride back to the airport.  Well, the storm had other plans.  Our two hour boat ride turned into a 5 hour ride thanks to a giant clog in the river.  We spent an hour and a half cutting our way through what looked like a lawn in the middle of the river.  Then, we got to our "hotel" which was completely empty except for us and the guy (Bernie) who runs the place.  It was incredibly creepy and the first night as we were falling asleep I said, "Mom, this is how most horror films begin."  Luckily, Bernie was exceptionally nice and figured everything out for us.  The only way back to the San Jose airport due to all of the roads in Costa Rica being closed was by plane, so we booked a flight from Tortugero to San Jose.  The flight consisted of 12 people and the pilot and co-pilot.  After waiting at an abandoned shack, we loaded our own bags onto the bottom of the plane, sat in whatever seat we wanted, and got a nice speech from the co-pilot, "Welcome aboard.  We will be in San Jose in a half an hour.  If you need more safety information, read the card."  Then we took off and I spent thirty minutes praying that we wouldn't die.  

I had an amazing time in Costa Rica, but it was nice to return home.

I spent the 4th of July with my favorite people. 

Yes, we do have to dress like it's December every single 4th of July.

Another change that has happened.

Another big change has happened in the last two months (actually, it's been three, but I didn't want to jinx anything).

We're crazy dog people.

Milo loves him more than he loves me.

He's more into nature than I am, I think.

When you find a guy who can sew your pants and fix your sink, you keep him.

Our recent trip to San Francisco.

Car selfie.

We met in May and haven't really been apart since.  He's handsome, hilarious, and treats me incredibly well.  He is always offering to do things for me, like fix things around my mom's house, sew my pants, and he makes me dinner every night.  He's from the East Coast, so I just dropped him at the airport a few days ago.  Thank goodness for FaceTime.  He's not a runner, but he is very health conscious and is big into working out.  We go to the gym together often.  

Running hasn't changed, but I haven't raced since May.  I am still volunteering at every single race that I can, though.  The biggest change is that I had to say goodbye to one of my best running friends.  

He's been running for 20+ years and has taught me so much about running.  He's extremely talented and fast.  Except, whenever we ran together, he always bitched at me to slow down.  Not only was he one of my favorite people to run with, he quickly became one of my best friends in life too.  We logged so many miles together, it was easy to open up and become really close.  We spent a lot of time together over the last 15 months.  He got a job about four hours south, and he moved away on Monday.  The goodbye was so hard and my hometown feels a little bit more empty without him.  I think I am really in denial that he is gone.  We spent our last days together running a theater camp for kids and pounding it out on the pavement every single day.  I know we will be friends forever, it's just so hard to say goodbye to someone who means so much to you.  

Not much has changed on the gym front.  We're still being total goofballs and not caring what anyone thinks about us.  

I feel like I really have my life together when my workout clothes match.

I've also been doing a lot of nature things, still.

Dogs for days!

Only some of my favorite beings on the planet in my happy place.

The boy is big into birding, so I've been learning a lot about birds.  Apparently raptors aren't just a kind of dinosaur...

It's easier to breathe out here.

For some reason, California decided the first week in July would be a great time to downpour after two years of no rain at all.

I'm also getting used to a brand new classroom.  The end of last year was a really hard time for me.  I didn't know what I was going to do or where I was going to end up.  I thought about moving out of the area, even.  Then, a job opportunity arose at the school I've been at for 8 years and I jumped on it.  I feel so lucky, yet so overwhelmed.  It's like my first year of teaching for a second year in a row.  Luckily, my best friend brings me coffee every single Friday.

I even have my own office now!

There are so many more changes that have happened in the past two months, but this post is already entirely too long.  Don't worry, more will come.  Whenever I get the motivation.  Until then, I really enjoy reading everyone's blogs daily!  I will leave you with a video of my athletic ability.  I'm a true athlete.  


  1. OMG I MISSED YOU!!! I understand taking time off from blogging, but I hope you stick around a bit!

    Your trip looks sooo fun. I'm glad you treated your mom! That's so nice, and you girls made some great memories.

    How did you meet the new man? I'm so glad he treats you well and makes you happy!

    Congrats on the new job, too! I'm glad you're at a school you love! You'll be great this year.

  2. Wow, what a great trip!!! Congrats on the new job! I'm starting a new job in a couple of weeks too but this one's permanent so hopefully it will be the last move for a while. ;)